Friday, October 23, 2015

1-9-90 -- the Rule about Creating, Commenting, and Consuming

Look up an interesting post on Wikipedia: The One Percent Rule.

I assumed that it was about the distribution of wealth... no, this article on the world's free encyclopedia is about how people use the internet.

90% lurk or consume the content.

8% comment on the content or make changes or edits

1% create the content.   



I want my students to be part of the one percent.


---------------------  

The task for the next several months is to explore your ability as a CREATOR

There is a rule called 1 9 90

90% of people just LURK and consume the Internet.

9% make comments and hit "like" and add a little something to other people/s work.

only one percent actually CREATE

Read more at the One Percent Rule on Wikipedia.   

Start by clicking on the GEAR
to select options
Dan Pink talks about this ability to CREATE in his book A WHOLE NEW MIND.  The book is ten years old during this year when WHPS started its focus on creativity.  WHPS School is in the right place to put into the minds of students the words of a designer (quoted in AWNM) who observed that "Designers give us what we didn't know we were missing."

Look for the "create a new channel"
link at the bottom of the page
When I woke up as a teenager, in 1975, I didn't know that someday I would be using an iphone ...   I didn't know that I needed to wear rubber shoes with holes in them (Crocs).  I didn't know that I would listen to music through earbuds.   Yet that's what we do.  ...because somebody designed the objects that I use today.
Click on the "Create a new Channel"

Select "Create a new channel"
I'm pleased when I see students create something that they are proud to wear.  At WHPS, every student gets a free T Shirt to design and wear.  We have a student who wants to create wallets.  As teachers, we remove obstacles.   As facilitators we use money as a tool to help turn the student into an agent of good.   We want students to become independent.  

Now you can CREATE a name than nobody else has yet claimed
CREATE WITH LABELS
We let them have their space so that maybe a dream can bubble up.  Give them space to think about something that they want to do or achieve...

www.Tinyurl.com/CreateWithLabels
Here are some labels that Students can use...
Students can also create additional Youtube Channels that are devoted to a project.
The channel can become a WEBSITE for the student to demonstrate a new product or service

No comments:

Post a Comment